Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

Electrolux ewf1083 time manager will not spin the drum. I

Customer Question

Electrolux ewf1083 time manager will not spin the drum. I have the lid off, belt seems ok.
No error codes
On drain it seems to drain ok, but then sits with 1 min to go for a very long time.
There is no blockage in the drain pump filter.
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The drain does finish eventually and machine beeps as usual when it is finished.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have also tried a spin cycle. No spin at all. No motor, just occasional pump which does push out dirty water. Sits for ages on last minute like the drain cycle did
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Black hose under machine between drain pump and drum looks ok. No blockage
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried reset (start + delay). Did no good
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Found out how to enter diagnostic mode, and 10 programs in on the dial I get e52. Is this a faulty taco?
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Im so sorry that no oneelse has responded to you.

Apologies for my delayin replying, I only just came online and saw your question. Are youstill looking for help with this?

Please don't rate myanswer until we have explored all possible avenues. Please just usethe reply button to contact me.

The error code is not that specific, just that the fault is in the motor circuit.

Does the drum agitate when it washes?

Thanks

Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No it does not. The motor does not seem to run at all. I have the machine apart at the moment, and I have been checking out the resistance with a volt meter between the yellow wires at the circuit board end of the wires that go to the motor.btw... did I mention I entered diagnostic mode and am getting error e52 ... which i believe is no signal from the motor?
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Hi

E52 is a fault in the mortor circuit and is normally a tacho error

If there is no reading from the tacho then the motor will fail

Check the wiring to the tacho and the connectors in the motor block

Thanks

Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
one of the brushes was extremely worn so I ordered new brushes. I have just installed them and testing the machine.
first I tried a spin at 600rpm. the motor spins for a few seconds then stops. This is more than it was doing before. It did this about 3x through the cycle. It didn't seem to finish the cycle though ... sat on 1min for ever. I cancelled and went into diagnostics. No error reported. No E52.
I am now trying a sport intensive cycle. It has just started. It filled with water and began agitation .... but again stopped. It is now just sitting there when it should be agitating clothes. what would make it spin then stop? no error reported. Replacing brushes seemed to fix that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
which part is the taco? ... could this be causing the spin to stop?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. found the tacho. when the motor is unplugged, the tacho reads a steady 180.08 ohms. When I spin the motor by hand, this varies between 157 and 199 ohms. The is the 180 ohms too high?. If this is ok, does that point to a fault between the tacho and the circuit board? I'll check that wiring next.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've just read in a 2010 service doc for electrolux that tacho resistance should be between 105 and 130 ohms. I don't know if this applies to my model. As mine is 180 ohms, is it faulty? and if so, is it the tacho that is faulty and should I get a new tacho?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have just tried rigging up the motor to my drill-driver, using the drill-driver to turn the motor shaft. My intention was to measure the voltage put out by the tacho coil. I tried this with my volt meter set to 20 AC and connected to pins 6 and 7 (yellow wires that go to the tacho coil). However, I got negligible voltage. Nothing but noise.I then opened up the motor to inspect the coil. It looks fine to me and the magnet on the motor shaft was not loose.I'm not sure what to do next. Does not look like the tacho coil is easy to remove, but I'm prepared to remove it and replace it if that seems the next best step.Please advise what you would do next Rob.Thanks
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Hi

The bad news is that the tacho does seem to be faulty, and I dont believe that this part is availabale seperatley from the motor.

Open the door and tell me the product number from the label there, and Ill check for you

How old is the machine and how many times a week is it used?

Thanks

Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The machine is 5 years old. It is used fairly frequently because we have a large family. At least 3-4 times per week I would say.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PNC is###-##-####00. model ewf1083 type R613421
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Rob, what did you find out? Should I pull out the tach and try and find a replacement from a third party?
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Sorry, I am away right now.

The tacho is not available as a spare from Electrolux, its a motor complete.

If you can find one from a third party, its worth a try.

Otherwise, I would have to say this may not be an economical repair due to the cost and the age and use

Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I've found a new motor for $190. Wouldn't it still be Worth repairing at that price?Also, I'll need to see if I can get the tacho out of the old motor before looking for a third party one. Rest of the machine seems to be in good condition.
Expert:  Rob replied 1 year ago.

Hi

If it was me, spending my money, I woulkd replace the machine.

If the carbons were badly worn, then the machine has had a lot of use, so even if you replace the motor, all the rest of the machine has still had hard use.

Sorry its not great news

Rob