Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

My whirlpool refrigerator has stopped cooling on the fresh

Customer Question

Hi, my whirlpool refrigerator has stopped cooling on the fresh food area but the freezer is working fine. The compressor is working as well but no cold air has come out and its starting to get warm. What could be the problem?
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. You have an air flow issue. Either a fan motor has failed or you have a defrost problem. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There was frost behind the back wall of the freezer and I cleaned it out and the fridge started to cool again for about 30 mins. But then when I opened the freezer door to get ice cream it stopped cooling completely. And I can't hear the fan run behind the freezer.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Is the compressor running? If you feel the back panel inside the freezer, is it very cold? Also, the frost you saw, was it all over the evaporator coil or just in one small area?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The frost was just on top of the evaporator coil and it formed chunky ice particles and I removed them yesterday. Right now, the back panel of the freezer isn't very cold its just cold.. Hope that makes sense. But I just checked my freezer and there's light frost all over the evaporator coil. And the compressor isn't running.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

It may be cycled off, but the light frost pattern only at the top indicates a low refrigerant level. Does it seem to run all the time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the freezer was working well until the last time I had the ice removed and cleaned it.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Did you use anything sharp to remove the ice that may have compromised the sealed system?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I didn't use anything sharp to remove the ice, just a wooden spoons handle. The refrigerator has now completely stopped cooling not even the freezer section is working. The air compressor at the back hasn't made any sound or anything. I was wondering if I ran out of gas and if it needs to be refilled?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Is the compressor getting warm, even though it is not running?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the compressor isn't getting warm. It's just on a normal temperature.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Then the issue is that no power is getting to the compressor. You will need a meter to test the voltage at the compressor. Do you have one? Is there a fan running in the freezer or by the compressor?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a meter to test the compressor. And I think there's a fan near the compressor, but it's not running at the moment. The fridge has completely stopped cooling
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the main electronic control is faulty and not energizing the compressor or fan. That part is available below.

CLICK HERE