Daniel T.
Daniel T., Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience in white goods repair. NVQ Level 2 electronics manufacturers training courses.
15468697

I have a basic model side by side model refrigerator. It has

Customer Question

I have a basic model side by side model refrigerator. It has started making a loud operating noise which stops when fridge door is opened. The noise starts again when the door is closed.
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
Can you post the model number please.
Also is it the fridge door that you open and the noise stops?
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can,t find the model no on the user manual. Yes it is the fridge door.
Expert:  Daniel T. replied 1 year ago.
Hi
No worries thats fine. I know what it will be anyway.
This is will be ice building up behind the panel inside the fridge. So the ice is collecting near the fan so thats the noise you can hear is the fan hitting the ice. As when you open the door the fan stops so thats why the noise stops.
You have 2 opitions here. You need to either empty the fridge completey and remove the back panel in the bottom half of the freezer. There will be 2 screws at the bottom and 2 on the water bottle(if you have a water bottle on your model).
Then remove the vent covers you can see and theres more screws in there.
Then you can remove the panel. Behind there is the evaporator. If this is covered in ice you need to use a hairdryer and melt the ice in there.
Then do the same to the back panel as you wll see the fan in there. Melt all the ice in there as well.
Once clear refit the panels and retry the appliance and fingers crossed thats sorted it.
But if you dont want to go removing panels then you need to turn the appliance off for 24 hours and keep the fridge door open. As this will allow the ice to melt in there. But this way you will lose the freezer as well.
Once all clear retry it and fingers crossed its a one off thats caused this and it will be fine from there.
But if it happens again then theres a fault in ther ewhich could be either the defrost heater or defrost sensors. To check you will need to remove the fridge panels again and access the parts in there and test it with a multi meter and see if faulty.
But try the defrost first and fingers crossed its just a one off and this cures it from there.
Regards