Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

I have a 476 Westinghouse gas oven (model with 6 control knobs and electronic clock) I hav

Customer Question

I have a 476 Westinghouse gas oven (model with 6 control knobs and electronic clock) I have a pilot light flame but it won't rise in temp. Some days it will, others it won't. Could you shed any light on this? Thank you
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! If the pilot will not get bigger when you turn the oven on, the issue is likely with the thermostat or the line may be plugged near the pilot. Turn the oven on and use a tool handle to tap on the lines near the pilot assembly. Does the flame get bigger?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The problem is intermittent, but does not work, more often than working! The igniter or pilot glows bright but I have read if the temp of the igniter is not enough it will not open the system to allow gas flow, would this sound a possibility?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Is the flame, when it lights, as large as it has been? You stated you had a pilot light flame, so I did not think you had an electric ignition. The model you posted is not complete so I could not look it up. If you have a glow igniter, yes, it is likely faulty. They have to draw a certain current, not reach a temperature. The current being too low can make for intermittent opening of the valve or a low flame when it does light. I would replace the igniter.