Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

There, our Bosch SMS5072 machine gets stuck on a certain

Customer Question

Hi there, our Bosch SMS5072 machine gets stuck on a certain part of the cycle and does not move on. Is there anything we can do to help this or would we need to get a technician in? Sometimes it seems like there is an airlock and if we can get that sorted then it starts working again.
Regards,
Justine
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The most common cause of cycle issues is a heater problem. Is the water getting hot and steamy if you open the door mid cycle?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it heats up well on the cycles that work but the cycles that don't work stop early in the cycle so unsure if it should have heated up by then or not.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the control module is having trouble if some cycles work and others do not. Any funny noises or odors (like electrical burning) when they cycle stalls? When it stalls, does it completely stop, no functions at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No funny smell. It seems to make a ticking noise when it stuck but nothing happening in machine and dial doesn't move.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Can you tell where the noise is coming from?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
From the dial - It's the normal ticking that the dial makes but usually the sound differs as it moves through the cycle. When the cycle doesn't work, the ticking/ clicking just sounds the same for hours and the dial doesn't move.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, and if you manually advance the knob, it will start working again?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, it seems that once it has stopped working, not much starts it again. Every now and again if we advance the knobs and run the taps and take all plugs out of the sink etc, it will go again but that is not very often and we have done so much that it's hard to know what has worked. It almost seems like an airlock but plugs and plungers and running taps doesn't work every time.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Even if an airlock was to blame, the motor should run. Do you hear the motor humming or buzzing at all?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes we do. You can tell it's trying to run, just something's stopping it.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the motor may be faulty. Do you hear a click after the humming/buzzing, followed by silence for a short period?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think so. It hasn't done it in a few days so I can't remember the specifics. What can we do about the motor? Is it an easy fix/ do we need a new machine?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
It is not easy and is pretty expensive. Unless the machine is in very nice shape otherwise and you really like it, it would probably be wise to replace the machine.