Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

Samsung SR449ELS Fridge Freezer. Fridge does not cool, Freezer

Customer Question

Samsung SR449ELS Fridge Freezer. Fridge does not cool, Freezer is OK.
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More Information:
Removed service panel from back of the fridge. Vacuum cleaned around compressor, evaporator, fan assy. Removed PCB enclosure assy. Opened unit. Powered up fridge. Relays clicking then unit starts, fan runs. Nothing obvious with physical inspection.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you! The issue is an air flow problem if the freezer is cooling well. Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section? Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer? If frost is found on the freezer wall, open the doors for 36-48 hours with the unit unplugged and thaw it out well. Let me know what you find, please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly,
"Can you hear a fan running in the freezer section?" Yes...
"Can you see any frost on the back wall inside the freezer?" No... Can't see any ice at the back of the freezer or fridge.
Just to confirm.... The freezer works really well. The fridge is just below outside temperature. Fridge smells like a fridge that's been switched of, except the internal light works.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If no frost then the air damper that allows air from the freezer to come into the fresh food section is closed. Can you locate that damper at the top of the fridge compartment and see if you can see why it is closed or if there is ice in it?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled the centre fitting, the one wilth the cooler setting in the middle of the fridge out including the ducting that runs down the middle of the fridge. I see 2 vents which look like they are coming from the freezer. I assume the damper is located in the freezer section?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
More information..... This evening I removed the back panel in the freezer compartment. Even though there was no snow on the outside of the cover.... Behind the cover it is all frozen solid. I have left it apart with the doors open to get it to defrost ASAP. Does this mean defrost timer or even heater?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Probably the heater is faulty or the fuse that is usually mounted in a bubble type plastic at the top of the evaporator. Both may be tested for continuity with a multimeter.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll check that on Friday. By then the ice should have melted.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it will take a full day, maybe a little less if the rear panel is off. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Kelly,
With the ice gone, I measured what I think is the heater. ~350 ohms. Also checked the thing in a bag with the circuit breaker inside. It measures a short circuit. According to the diagram in the back that's all there is????
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If that is the case, then the control that sends the unit into defrost is faulty. That is the PCB assembly. I would try it before replacing it, though, just in case the unplugging has reset it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Put it all back together. Seems to be working now. I look at the freezer again next week and see if it is defrosting.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, thank you!