Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

We have a Heller PPFH83 upright freezer. We have just been

We have a Heller PPFH83 upright freezer. We have just been away for 2 weeks and find the freezer is not working properly. The top 2 bays are frozen solid and can't open them. The next 2 look OK but it seems there has been some defrosting as shards of ice lay on the top of items. The bottom 2 drawers have thawed and juice run to the bottom and re-frozen. It looks like those items are trying to re-freeze.
The neighbours say we haven't had any power failures. Do you have any ideas? We don't know if it is safe to eat the food or who needs to look at it.
Joan [email protected]

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! If you had no power failures, I wouls suspect the control had issues. Since you know some things thawed, I would not eat the food if there is any questions at all. It would not be worth the risk. I would unplug to reset the control and thaw the freezer and clean it all out and then you will be able to watch it while you are home.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will try unplugging and thawing tomorrow. Could be a day or two before I get back to you to see what the outcome is. Thank you.

Just reply when you can, there is no hurry at all. Thank you and have a nice rest of your weekend.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The freezer is now thawed. It seems the bottom elements weren't working at all - no ice on them at all. The top 2 elements were solid with ice. Is it possible to replace the bottom elements or are they all linked together? Is there a parts number and price for them?

Joan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Another question. We have a reverse cycle airconditioner. Runs beautifully in the summer. In the winter time it just runs cold air so can't use it. We have the same model in another room and that works fine. Do you have any ideas?

Joan

For the freezer, if the lower shelves are still not cooling well after the defrost, it likely has a leak and a low refrigerant level. Leaks are common where the shelves are soldered into the sealed system and usually there will be rust around the solder connections. This repair is not a DIY project and will require specialized tools and training to complete.

As for the AC, I suspect the reversing valve that controls the flow of refrigerant has stuck and is not working. That is also a sealedf system repair....
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your help. The freezer is now running again. We put bowls of water at each level and they have frozen well. I just checked for rust spots and can't find any.

At the moment it looks like that is running OK,now we don't know whether to trust putting food in it as we go away a lot.

Sounds like we will need to get someone to look at the AC. Thank goodness winter is over.

I guess this will be my last questions. I only planned to pay for this one session but your website is very confusing. Can you please confirm that I won't be paying each month.

You will need to send an email to [email protected] to check on the subscription status, I don't have access to anything but this question thread. Glad the freezer is working now, but you may want to put more of a "load" on it, as in more to freeze than a couple bowls of water. It may change once it has a lot of product to freeze. Thank you!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!