Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

Does the pump in a Samsung J845 fail often, the machine is

Customer Question

Does the pump in a Samsung J845 fail often, the machine is about 3.5 years old and has played up for most of that time. This is definitely the worst washing machine ever.

I am a retired photocopier technician 84 years of age, old age pensioner and capable of doing the repairs myself with a little help from you. I would like to know how to remove the machine covers to replace the pump if necessary.

Graham Shanks

Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! These littel pumps are indeed troublesome, especially if they are not kept clean. It takes very little to block the small plastic impeller. Most often times, they can simply be cleaned to restore operation, though. That is one nice thing with having the filter to catch most items before the impeller gets jammed. Since cleaning the filter, what trouble are you having with it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly,

I didn't realise the filter was so important as only a tiny bit of fluff is usually in it, but after cleaning the machine goes through most part of the wash and stops indicating 5E mainly in the drain and spin cycle nearly every time, we count ourselves lucky if it finishes properly.

Graham Shanks

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you! That error indicates that the pressure sensor is telling the control that the water has not drained out. If the water is actually draining out, the pressure sensor may have a partially obstructed air hose. That pressure sensor is mounted under the main top, near the top of the machine. It will have a very small hose attached to it. Remove that hose and blow through it to assure a good clear path. Let me know if the error code still appears.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly,

the water does not drain out, its still full, I drain it from the hose at the bottom (making a mess) and the machine will carry on till the next 5E comes up. I have noticed that during some drain cycles the flow from the main drain hose is not constant and come out in small squirts.

I'll be doing a small load of washing today, I'll stand by the machine and check its cycles.

Cheers, Graham

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, make sure you check the hose from the tub that connects to the drain pump. It is common for small clothing items to get in there. Let me know how it goes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly,
I stood by the washing machine and checked its cycles the drain seemed to take ages to start even though I could hear a rumbling like the pump running, no water came out for several minutes then suddenly it started then when the spin cycle started the timer stayed on 4 minutes for a long time with the drum undecided which way to go only doing a couple of revs each way for a few minutes, then it got up to speed and finished off. The flannelette items were still very wet. This washing machine is a pile of junk, I'll never purchase a Samsung again!!!

Cheers,

Graham Shanks

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The rumbling you describe is typical of a pump whose impeller has come off of the motor shaft. That is pretty common as the impeller is pressed onto the shaft at manufacture. I suspect that pump will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly,

can you tell me the method of removing the covers to access the pump and where can I purchase a new pump.

Unfortunately I am an old age pensioner now and I have to find the cheapest way of doing things or I don't eat.

Thanks,

Graham Shanks

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The pump is available below. To access it, lay the machine on its back and and use a small flat blade screwdriver to to unclip the cowling from the bottom of the machine. This will expose the screws that hold the pump in. Once the hoses and electrical connection have been removed, thhe pump may be removed.

Drain Pump Assembly <----- CLICK HERE FOR THE CORRECT PART FOR YOUR MODEL
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly,

I am not able to access the Drain Pump Assembly site by clicking on it, do you have another method?

Thank you,

Graham Shanks

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sure, you can copy and paste the URL below....

http://spares.bigwarehouse.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=1492832
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly,
thanks for that, the pump is on its way, I'll keep you posted on future events with the machine.

Regards,

Graham Shanks

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, thank you!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know! You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly,

I fitted the new pump yesterday, you were right, the impeller was loose on the shaft, I haven't done a wash yet but I did put the machine on rinse and spin when empty and it worked perfectly.

I should be able to claim faulty workmanship on this as it has played up almost all the time we have had it, it gives Samsung front loaders a bad name.

Thank you for the great service, I have already rated as excellent service.

Regards,

Graham Shanks

Sorry, I am unable to afford any tips as I am on bread and water for a while now till I catch up financially, I am only an old age pensioner.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so very much. You did an outstanding job! I am glad it si working goo for you now. I hope it gives you a much better service life now!