Rob
Rob, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience with a major worldwide manufacturer.
14831508

I have a Front Loading Westinghouse washing machine that is

I have a Front Loading Westinghouse washing machine that is approx. seven years old. The model number is XXXXX 652 D. Recently, as the machine is filling up with water to begins its first cycle, considerable water is leaking out onto the floor. There is the sound of dripping water coming from underneath the drum.

The trouble-shooting guide in the user manual suggests that using the wrong sort of washing detergent may cause the machine to leak water onto the floor. I have discovered that the wrong powder (top loader) has been used over the past two months.

I have tried pouring warm/hot water directly into the detergent dispenser drawer and the same thing happens - water ends up on the floor.

My questions are as follows:

1) How can using the wrong type of detergent cause water to leak onto the floor?

2) Could there be another cause for water leaking onto the floor as the machine fills up?

2) Who should I get to have a look at the problem? Does it have to be a Westinghouse technician?
Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be helping you with your problem today. If anything isn't clear, please just ask me.

Please hold, while I type my answer for you.
This may take about 5 minutes

Thanks
Rob
Hi Alistair

It is true that some powders create too much foam, this will cause the machine to overfill and consequently leak.

If you have used this type of powder, I think you would have noticed an excess of bubbles in the machine. Even if you had, after a couple of washes with ordiary powder, the problem would have gone.

Far more likely is a leak in the drain hose, the tub to pump hose, or the drain pump itself leaking.

Any appliance technician should be able to resolve this for you.

My advice is to ask friends and neighbours for recomendations of local people they have used
If you need more help, please just ask me
In the meantime,

Can I ask you to take a moment and rate my response? Please use the smiley faces which you should now see. Please remember you are rating me personally, not the website or the problems you have had with this machine.
If you need to ask me anything after rating, please just follow the link in the welcome email
Thanks
Rob