The Home Smithy, Appliance Technician
Experience:  40 years repairing things.
3079445

I have a 7yrs Hoover washer 750L. It is occasionally stopping

I have a 7yrs Hoover washer 750L. It is occasionally stopping unfinished and tripping power circuit at meter box. Is this likely a big repair or should I scrap it and buy a new one?

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer.

Can you tell me at what point it is stopping at? End of rinse, end of drain, end of wash......Start of spin, etc.?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

at nearly finished final spin

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the unit actually spinning or does it happen just as it is starting to spin?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

it is spinning and doing all the rest of the wash fine,

The problem is in the timer circuit. Replacing the timer should resolve the problem. Timers are not so expensive as to warrant replacing the whole unit.

If it is digitally controlled please provide the units model number and I will see what a new control board will cost. They can get real expensive, and it might be better to get a new unit.

Please let me know if you have any other immediate concerns.
If not please select a positive rating at this time. Doing so will not close your question, and after you rate my service you may ask any followup questions you like. All at no additional charge.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve you.
Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, since I began this questioning I turned the washer on and it filled but turned off as it tried to start...so now it is not working at all. So is it still same issue?

Sounds like it, yes. Did it throw the electrical breaker again too?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it did, I moved the washer cycle on manually by a click or two, reset the power and turned it on.. so far it is working again. I don't know the model number. I should be able to get it repaired. I am elderly and can't physically move it out to see the numbers. Thanks for your help. carol

Im sure that you can, Carol. The timer is an easy repair for a good service person.

It seems like the unit is arcing at the timer contacts and that is causing it to trip the breaker.

Have the timer replaced and you are good to go.

Best, Smitty
**How to rate your expert**