Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

Hi, I have a Westinghouse Virtuoso fridge/freezer rs662. I

Hi, I have a Westinghouse Virtuoso fridge/freezer rs662. I have moved house and let it rest for a few hours before turning it on. After having done so it tripped the safety switch sometime during the night. In the morning I turned it off, reset the safety switch and got it going again. Everything was okay until early evening, when the safety switch tripped again. I vaguely remember it did so in the past after we had been on holidays for a while and the fridge had been turned off for a while (in our former house). My late husband was an electrician and I never asked what he did with it or what could have been the problem. Neither do I know if it just worked again after he'd had it turned off for a while. Any ideas please?
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! If the appliance was laid over on it sid efor transport, it will need at least 24 hours upright before using it. Ws it laid on its side for transport to the new home?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly. The fridge was on its side to get it down the veranda and on the truck, but it has been upright during its travelling. Unfortunately this problem has occurred before when we were on holidays and the fridge was left off for a few weeks. I figure the same thing is happening again, whatever the cause is.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
If it is running for a period then tripping the safety, you may have something shorted in the defrost circuit. That circuit is energized only about once per day, so that is why it will run for a while first. It is possible that water is in a connection and after it dries out, it is fine. Are you able to leave it off for a few days to allow for total evaporation?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes I will be able to. I have a spare fridge running, so the Westinghouse has been left turned off since Saturday night. I will leave it for a few more days. Can I get back to you if the problem still exists after I have given this a try?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Of course, just reply back and we can proceed.

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly,

I have let my fridge rest (for 4 days now) as you suggested, but as soon as I plugged it in it shorted again. Any other suggestions please? Thanks. (I will be out for part of the morning, so no hurry)

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
No, i suspect it has a restriction now that is overloading the compressor. I would consider replacing it if more than about 8 years old because repair is going to be very expensive and may be found to not be repairable.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your help. I am now looking to buy a new fridge, since this one is 11 years old. I don't know if I get the chance for a new survey, or if my answers can be reset. I clicked the button before I had really done anything.... :-( Anyway, I feel the $36 were well spent. Kind regards

Marion

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX refrigerator shopping!
Kelly, Appliance Technician