Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.

I have a Hoover Contour 513 litre refrigerator. It works fine,

I have a Hoover Contour 513 litre refrigerator. It works fine, except every now and then makes quite a load popping type noise. What would be causing that?

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! This is actually pretty common, especially as appliances age. As the refrigerant moves through the tubing in the sealed system, it will change state from a gas to a liquid and liquid to a gas. This can cause expansion and contraction as the change occurs, which will sometimes pop or crackle. Alos, in the defrost cycle, the heater will come on to defrost the coil and the rapid temperature rise to the aluminum in the coil and heat shields can cause expansion and contraction of the metal, also popping and crackling. So, I don't think there is anything to worry about as long as the temperatures are good. If it terrible bothersome, we could look at insulating the capillary tube where it enters the evaporator but it will require complete disassembly to access the evaporator coil and the use of specialized refrigeration putty and may not help much. Typically, if it gets bothersome, at ten years old it would be time to consider replacement.

Please let me know if you have additional questions or need clarification. There is no additional charge for any follow up help!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for that response. I am not really worried about the noise, unless it was something sinister that could cause short-circuit, small explosion etc. You have settled my concerns. Thanks for your quick response

You have nothing to worry about, it is not harmful at all, just a part of the process! Thank you!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave.