Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

My SB907WJ dishwasher, when start is pressed on the eco setting,

Customer Question

My SB907WJ dishwasher, when start is pressed on the eco setting, seems to start the drain pump for a few seconds (as per normal), then beeps five times and then all lights go out. Occasionally the filling will commence for a few seconds then we get the five beeps and all lights go out. Hope you can help.
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! I suspect you may have a control issue with the intermittent behaviopr and times it acts up. Try a hard reset by turning the power off at the mains for at least 2 hours and let me know if the behavior changes, please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly

I would not describe the behaviour as intermittent, it was the same every time I tried to start the dishwasher since yesterday.

There was no change after two hours switched off at the power point last night and no change this morning after switched being off overnight.

I did not try to start this morning, but took a little more notice of the behaviour. After switching on at the power point, then switching on at the front of the dishwasher and leaving it like this, after five seconds the lights went out and there was five beeps, followed by five more after five seconds.

Hope this helps in the diagnosis.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Okay, and this only happens on the Eco setting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly

In reply to your last note, I usually only use the ECO setting, so before yesterday (see below) had not tried any other setting.

Wed PM Switched on at power point on wall after being off all day, switched POWER switch on got centre (RINSE, FRAGILE, ECO) and right (NORMAL, HEAVY) columns of lights illuminated and 5 seconds later five beeps etc. with no lights. Switched POWER switch off, then after a short pause pushed it on again, I then immediately pushed program switch and set to ECO, then pressed START. The dishwasher seemed to run normally, so I pushed PAUSE, put in a small washing load and then pushed START again. The dishwasher completed a full wash OK. Switched POWER switch off, then opened dishwasher door, allowed to cool and dry for about an hour, then emptied. Then decided to try it again, went through normal start process to set up a RINSE only with no load, this was also successful. Dishwasher was left switched on at the wall overnight.

This morning, switched POWER switch on got centre (RINSE, FRAGILE, ECO) and right (NORMAL, HEAVY) columns of lights illuminated and 5 seconds later five beeps etc. with no lights. Tried to repeat the previous successful run on an ECO wash with no load, but still no success, left wall switch off.

I intend to repeat an ECO run as above after two hours.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Your touch panel is likely experiencing a failure. You may need to replace the control panel but there is a trick you can try first. Cut the power to the appliance. Use a hair dryer to heat the panel up until very warm while "massaging" the buttons. Often times, this will restore operation. Be sure to get the panel very warm but not hot enough to damage the plastic. If this does not work, the panel will need to be replaced. Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly

No luck with the hair dryer.

I would not have called the the dishwasher panel a touch panel as the four buttons move independently of the plastic base. Does this matter?

Do you have an indication of the cost of replacing the control pannel?

I want to weigh up the merits of repair against full replacement of the dishwasher.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
How old is the appliance, more than 8 years?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly

Dishwasher purchaesd in January 2007 - 6.5 years old

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Well, you have a control issue and the dishwasher is nearing its 8 year life expectancy. I guess if the rest of the machine is in very good shape, it may be worth repairing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly

Can you give me an idea aboutr the cost of a replacement control unit and also an idea of labour cost (or time required)?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
The control is expensive and available below. Labor will run about half the cost of the control.

CLICK HERE

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kelly

I rated your service excellent, even though there was not a successful result on my part.

Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I understand and appreciate that very much. Sometimes there is an easy fix, sometimes not. I guess if you look at the saving over an on site service call, you still came out ahead. I know it can be disappointing and I am sorry we couldn't have an easy fix.