Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.
11418111

I have an Elba clothes washer, Model #WA55T56MW1, Serial #

I have an Elba clothes washer, Model #WA55T56MW1, Serial # XXXXX

Just married eight months ago and moved here from US. Have had no problems with washing dark clothes previously. However since moving here and using this machine I'm finding that the dark clothes are covered in lint and are pilling as well.

+ We use a powder detergent.

+ The dark clothes are washed separately from light colors or towels.

+ We keep the machine clean inside.

+ We do not overload the machine.

Is there a lint filter of some kind in this machine? I have looked but cannot seem to find one.

Is there a manual we could get?

Thank you so much for your help.

Lois Sowerby (Befuddled Bride)
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I look forward to helping you! First, congratulations on your marriage!

Sorry you are having trouble with your washer and the results you are seeing. That washer does not have a filter, so that would be why you are unable to locate it. The lint is designed to be rinsed out as the water is discharged in the drain cycle. So, let's look at a few things that can cause the results you are seeing.

Overloading the washer.

Not using enough detergent to hold the lint in suspension until draining.

Overdrying in a dryer can cause a build-up of static electricity in synthetic fabrics and cause
them to attract lint.

Those are the most common causes. There are others, but you are sorting properly, so we can rule that out. Have you tried other detergents?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning, Kelly. Thank you for your response and good wishes. I'm using the recommended one scoop for top loading washers. It is powder detergent and I had read where there are fillers used in powders that never dissolve. I tried an experiment and put a small amount of powder in a quart jar of water and left it overnight. That stuff never did dissolve all the way. So do you think that could be possible? There are four more boxes of this powder to use up then I will probably switch to liquid. Anyway, I don't dry much in the dryer. The "all blacks" (I'm turning into a Kiwi already.) are coming out of the washer with the little "pills" of lint. I have one of those fabric shavers that shaves them off nicely, however, if used long enough I would shave the garment into oblivion.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I understand and do suspect the detergent is likely the issue. One thing that may help is if you dissolve it in very hot water in a jar before placing it in the washer. Does the detergent suds up pretty well or do you see littel suds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I will try that just now and get right back to you within five minutes. LMS

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Sounds good, thank you! The suds are important, they are what suspend the lint and dirt for removal in the drain cycle.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The scientific research results are in!!! The powder dissolved some but there is an enormous amount of bits and pieces floating around and some settling on the bottom of the jar. Very little suds. So should I assume the powder detergent is the culprit and switch to liquid? Also, I usually wash in warm water and was even considering switching to cold to save on electricity. What do you advise?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Cold water will worsen the results. The low suds and undissolved particles are the cause of your poor results. I would toss the powder soap you have an switch to liquid. I believe you will have much better results! Nice job on the investigation process!

Please remember to leave positive feedback before you leave. If you have any other questions, please let me know!. You may continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need, even after rating my service. Thank you!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply and advice. Will do as you suggest. I am curious about the time difference. It is 4 a.m. Tuesday, July 2 here in Christchurch, NZ and your response was 11:58 a.m. July 1. Where are you located?

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am in the US, south central Montana.

http://www.visitbillings.com/
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I thought you might be. I just moved here from Tenn. My son is moving to Great Falls as US Air Force Chaplain even as we speak. Small world.

Thank you so much, Kelly, for your patience and help. I will rate you the highest. God bless you and yours.

Lois Sowerby

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
Wow, one of my best friends lives in Greeneville, TN! Thank you so much!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I lived just north of Nashville in the little town of Portland, Tenn. and I know just where Greeneville is.

I don't know how far you are from Great Falls, but if you ever need a friend, my son is a great, crazy, guy. Married with two kids. You can see him on facebook--Rob Mohr.

Well, I must end this or I will be sending you a box of homemade cookies to thank you for your help.

Blessings. LMS

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 year ago.
I am south of Great Falls, what a small world, indeed! Take care!
Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience: Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years of experience.