AUSSIE- Repair Tech.
AUSSIE- Repair Tech., Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Tech with 12 years experience in the Industry.
55003593

My Hoover 550 MA will not spin. Its pumping the water out

Customer Question

My Hoover 550 MA will not spin. It's pumping the water out but does not move on to the next cycle (spin). I think it's about 10 years old. It's been going out of balance a lot recently. What can I do?
Marie (North Shore, Sydney)
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  AUSSIE- Repair Tech. replied 3 years ago.
Hi Marie,

Has it just started doing this all of a sudden, or has it been happening intermitantly?

I need to know before I respond with an answer please?

Also, does it still agitate in the wash cycle??
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It has just started doing this, although I do remember that it happened once before recently, but when I manually moved the dial on it started again (last time). Today it did not respons, then after I'd contacted you, my husband tried and it started to spin! It got most of the water out of the clothes, but not as much as it should. I am pretty sure it still agitating in the wash cycle, but of course, it stops as soon as you open the lid, so I can't really watch it.

Marie

Ok Marie

The motor controller inside of the top control panel is on its way out.

They are about $100 new.

This is what it looks like:

http://spares.bigwarehouse.com.au/popup_image.php?pID=1547141

Very common with these machines unfortunately..

All you have to do is unplug it and plug a new one in, takes about 3 minutes okay,,

For the part:

Contact The Experts

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Please have your Make & Model number readily avaliable when contacting us or visiting us.

All Brands (Non LG)

Phone 1800 250 911
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi expert Aussie repair tech

Steve here..., Maries husband

I have the top panel open and I think I can see the Motor controller but it looks different to the photo you sent. I have taken a photo of mine,it is called electronic forward reversing, pt\no XXXXXXXXX model MR092. Is this the part we need to replace?

The machine does spin but it seems to start to spin and then just spins slowly not going full speed.

Look forward to getting your advice on this

Steve.

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here

Register Here
View Full Image

Register Here

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The part number is PT/No XXXXXXXXX /p>

I notice on my previous message it came up all xxxxx

Steve

Hi Steve,

That is the motor controller yes, you have the older type. If you decide to replace it, you will get the new type the same as in the pic I gave you above. The old ones are no longer made...

When you fit the newer type,,, the black wire from the main wiring harness,, that connects to the motor controller on top (the only wire going to the motor controller) is re routed and is connected up to the capaciter with the red wire labelled FB

All the other wires remain the same... Bluw, Yellow and black go to the timer, red and white to the capacitor and the black wire re routed to the FB wire at the capaciter, as the new one does not have the connection anymore okay,,

Another thing, all older style SImpsons have the exact controller your Hoover does (Your Hoover is a simpson in disguise-made by Electrolux) so if you come across an old Simpson machine anywhere, rat the motor controller from it and change it with yours...
They are all the same, regardless of size etc...

People throw out washing machines all the time. The controller is worth $100 new,

These machines also have a habbit of a faulty timer, so if you could scrounge another one just to test with first before spending $100, that would be the best thing for you, just in case okay,.,