AUSSIE- Repair Tech.
AUSSIE- Repair Tech., Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Tech with 12 years experience in the Industry.

I have a simpson Ezi sensor top loader washing machine and

I have a simpson Ezi sensor top loader washing machine and we have tried most washing powders /liquids and it constantly leaves white marks on clothing, white clothing becomes stained (not from darker materials washed with them) white singlets become dull / yellowey quickly. We keep the lint catcher is changed with every wash !!

We have tried short washes / long washes /hot washes / heavy washes and whites only ( no other colours washed with wash for 3 months) and still whites become yellowey / grey

What is wrong with this machine
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  AUSSIE- Repair Tech. replied 3 years ago.

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Hello and thank you for your inquiry, I will be assisting you with your question today,

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

The Simpson Ezi sensor machines have a few different models in the series, could I have the full model number of your machine please so I can narrow it down and check against the exact service manual?

Customer:

Model No SWT 605 SA

Customer:

Serial No 83552912

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Unfortunately I cannot give you my honest opinion regarding this washing machine, as I would drawn and quartered for my comments...lol
These machines can be very random regarding the operation and standard at which they operate.. however here is some advice I can give you to help combat the problem you are having..

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Always use more water than you need , at least 10-20% more...

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Never use the auto sensing water level (crap)

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

regarding whites becoming yellowish, select the deep rinse so the machine operates like the old Simpsons used to, wash,drain, spin, deep rinse,drain, spin, finish.....

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

If you select the eco rinse,,, it uses hardly any water at all for rinsing the detergents from your clothes, which over time will build up alkaline in your fabrics etc..and discolour them etc...

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

I usually just go with normal wash program, deep rinse and regular soil setting, max water level and only use 1 scoop of top loader(low suds) washing powder,,

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Regarding the clothes again, try using vinegar as a softener in the rinse cycle,,, as this will not only soften your clothes, but it will clean the washing machine as well,,, every time,, Vinegar dissolves alkiline residue which builds up inside the wash bowl on the outer tub where you cannot see*

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

You could also try, filling the machine up with pure hot water to the max setting, add 2 liters of vinegar($2) also, and set the machine to a wash cycle, wait about ten mins, and restart the cycle again with the same hot water/vinegar mixture and let the machine run all the way through as per normal and switch off*

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

This will flush the machine of any residue build up on the outer tub and sanitize the washer....

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Then, run a cold wash with one scoop of powder and run through to the end also to drain anything that is left over..

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

There must be a soap residue build up, as the outer tub is industrial plastic, the wash bowl is stainless steel and that is about all that the water comes into contact with inside the washing compartment. If the above does not work, you may have to remove the top of the machine, remove the lid ring and scrub the sides of the bowl and the outer tub with an extended scrubbing brush ( I use a back scrubber with bleach/degreaser) as washing machine get very dirty after a while, people would die of fright if they saw just how dirty they can get (this is why you should always use the max water level)

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Try the vinegar/hot wash and rinse afterwards...

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

If you really want to get into it, you can fill the machine up and leave it to soak overnight before starting the flush the next day.....

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Failing any of the above working, it might pay to get rid of it and start over, I do not reccomend spending big $$ on this machine ... regarding controller replacement etc.. okay,

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

One more thing also. your machine is on product recall for a dodgy lid lock mechanism, go to the following link and enter your model no and serial( I already checked for you) and then fill out the details so Simpson can contact you and organize replacement of the lid lock for free....

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

When they do come out, have a whinge about the machine and see if they are willing to help at all and see what their tech says regarding your problems also...

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

http://www.simpson.com.au/solver/recall/au/

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

The only other reason why you might be getting stains on your clothes also is if the agitator shaft oil seal is leaking and floating up into the washing..(it happens)

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Get a 10mm extended socket and bar and undo the main bolt right bdown the middle of the agitator under where the lint filter goes, undo the bolt and lift the agitator out, if there is oil marks going from the center shaft outwards, the seal is stuffed,, and I would just toss the machine rather than pay $300 odd dollars to have it fixed again,,,

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

And finally, you are not alone, here is what other people say about the same washing machine as you have,,,

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

http://www.productreview.com.au/p/simpson-ezi-sensor-swt605sa-swt802sa-swt902sa-swt955sa.html

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

I think the comments speak for them-self ?

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Hope I have shed some light on your problem, cheers, XXXXX XXXXX just ask okay,

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

PS< These are not genuine Aussie made Simpsons anymore, Electrolux make/own Simpson now... and Westinghouse, and Hoover,, ect,,

Customer:

If we were to replace this machine, what machine would you recommend, house contains 3 adults, no children and our work is retail with dark blue uniforms (hense white marks a problem)

Customer:

would you recommend a front loader maybe, I'm not interested in water saving as main issue - just clean clothes after washing cycle

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

I am not a fan of front loaders to be honest,,, they dont seem to really last that long,,

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

The best quality machine for the money is a Whirlpool top loader, super heavy duty and proven, haven't changed their design under the cabinet for 20+ years (it works),,, which says something about the motor/gearbox setup,,,, tough/simple and good parts etc..

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Have a look here, you can buy an extended warranty of 3 years (5 years in total) for $109

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/top-load-washing-machines.aspx

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/front-load-washing-machines.aspx

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

If you go a front loader, LG are reasonable and have cheap parts,,, Average life span of a front loader is about 5 years,,,*

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Bosch make a reasonable front loader, but more $$$$

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask okay, cheers,

Experience: Appliance Tech with 12 years experience in the Industry.