AUSSIE- Repair Tech.
AUSSIE- Repair Tech., Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance Tech with 12 years experience in the Industry.
55003593

Hi, I have a hoover 600mb, It will run through soak, maxi wash

Customer Question

Hi, I have a hoover 600mb, It will run through soak, maxi wash until it clicks over to regular wash. It then does not agitate but the timer continues to click around until it reaches the spray rinse area. It then drains the tub and continues the rest of the cycle relatively well, although the clothes are not always completely rinsed at the end of the wash. The machine is about 8 years old. Is it repairable? And if so, approx how much should I expect to be out of pocket. Tim
Category: Australia Whitegoods
Expert:  AUSSIE- Repair Tech. replied 3 years ago.

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

This problem will be one of two issues with your hoover 600Mb. First of all, the motor controller, located in the top panel, between the timer and the water valves. Its a plastic unit that controls the agitation and spin cycles on the machine. These clap out sometimes and become intermittent in the wash an spin cycles, or stop working altogether. Secondly, the timer. If your machine, does the exact same thing you say it does on the wash cycle, every time you use it (Not wash on the regular part of the timer) then it will more than likely be the timer that is the problem. The 165 and 167 timers were are known to not be that good and the 500MD 500MB 600M & 600MD machines all suffered from timer trouble at some point in time. It ticks away at various points but nothing happens. A lot of them stop at the pre rinse and needed to be manually clicked around one notch to continue and finish the pre rinse and spin cycle.

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

A motor controller is worth about $80 new, and nothing if you can find another Simpson washing machine to salvage one from(Your hoover 600MB is a re-badged Simpson made by Electrolux) New timers cost around $130 new and about $70 reconditioned, I reccommend a reco because they are cheaper and still have 12 months warranty anyway. You will need to identify the model number of your timer to get a replacement. On the back of the timer, is 2 lots of numbers inside a printed rectangle box. One lot of numbers is close to the timer motor(Silver round object about the size of a 20c coin) and up the other end is another lot of numbers, this is the info you require. You need the last 3 digits of the number furtherest away from the timer number to ring and get a replacement. EG: 165 - 167- K56 - K78 and so forth.

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

So now you have the price of the parts, and this job can be done in under 30 mins in labor. If you decide to hire someone, you know what your up for, just need to add labor on top of the parts. I will supply you with 2 places that supply timers, try the Sydney based one first as I get timers from them all the time and they are pretty quick. Heres the info,

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Stareast International Pty Ltd

Office Number:02 9792 5988

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

http://www.stareast.com.au/spare_parts_catalogue_page.html

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

And secondly:

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Statewide Appliance Spares

Phone 1800 250 911

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

http://www.statewideapp.com.au

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Both are major suppliers, Star East are in Sydney, Statewide in Adelaide.

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Both Ship Quick.

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Id say, your machine is worth repairing, and will cost around $120- $180 to repair, if you dfind someone who is reputable and honest. We charge $50hr + parts, including the freight as well. This is a little cheaper than most repair shops though.

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

You'll also get a 12 month parts warranty and a warranty on the labor as well ok.

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Ring around, and get some quotes on replacing your timer, Id say at a fairly good guess that it will be the timer, over the controller, as long as it does the exact same thing, every time you use it.

AUSSIE- Repair Tech. :

Maximum $200, worth repairing, Yes.

Experience: Appliance Tech with 12 years experience in the Industry.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Great feedback. Frustrating problem when you do not have any idea of what is actually happening.

I was going to buy a new washer but if the problem is as you say, I will get it repaired.

Thank you.

Your welcome, Please leave feedback on profile if satisfied, cheers... (no need to accept this reply)