Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

Have a VE Commodore and the hand brake is stuck on, yes,

Customer Question

Have a VE Commodore and the hand brake is stuck on
JA: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?
Customer: yes
JA: What year is your Commodore?
Customer: 2009
JA: Are you fixing your Commodore yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: have tried to lift level a little higher while pressing the button but there is no give
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 7 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This can be due to a fault with the hand brake cable.I have seen the cable bind up or jam up and cause this fault here.I have also seen the release lever that the handle pulls up on to release from the ratcheting gear at the hand brake assembly itself in the vehicle fail and the hand brake assembly had to be replaced.

You will need to have these inspected here to locate which component for sure is the cause and then repaired from there to resolve this issue.

I would have the hand brake cable checked to see if it needs replaced as well as the hand brake assembly in the vehicle as one of these will be the cause here with the cable being most common.

You can also have someone try to rock/push the car back and forth to see if when this is done if you can release the hand brake at the same time just in case this is just an issue with the angle of the vehicle binding up the hand brake.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete