Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

I have an 07 holden 3.6lt, just bought it. it only has water

Customer Question

i have an 07 holden 3.6lt, just bought it. it only has water in it, no coolent, is it possible to boil the water, it looks like it, bubbling furiously without radiator cap, and power train warning light on.
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: engine check light
JA: What is the model of your '07 Holden?
Customer: commadore 3.6
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: fixing myself. water was very low, very hot day, no visible leaks, topped up water, started engine, run up to temp, thermostate opened, and fans came on, but not untill it was very hot and water seemed to be boiling up out of radiator.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i think i will have to flush all water out and fill with proper coolent, but what type, i was also worried it might be a blown head gasket, but ive seen that, and it useualy is a slow build up of bubbles, this looks like its boiling and swerling.
JA: It's hard to know for sure. The Mechanic will figure it out.
Customer: im no sure what to do now, do i just wait
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Todd M replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. If you are losing coolant with no visible leaks, then I would lean towards the head gasket being blown. A quick way that I test for that is to fill up the coolant system, leave the radiator cap off and start the vehicle while monitoring the radiator spout. If Water shoots out like a geyser, then that means you more than likely have a blown gasket. The sure fire way of knowing is to perform a compression pressure test.