Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

Nissan navara dx 3.0 di 2006, engine shake and knock on

Nissan navara dx 3.0 di 2006, engine shake and knock on idle, blowing smoke on idle a time lapse when accelerating from idle
JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the fuel filters?
Customer: new turbo fuel and air filters
JA: What year is your Navara?
Customer: 2006
JA: Are you fixing your Navara yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: injector cleaner nothing else
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that's it thanks

Hello

I'd first check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

a burst or loose pipe will result in over fuelling and black smoke as you describe

If OK then also check the connections to the EGR valve, if either the vacuum pipe of electrical connection are damaged / corroded then the EGR can be on all time which certainly will hurt performance. Its also possible that its a fault with the EGR valve so its worth removing the valve and cleaning it out with brake cleaner, if it looks particularly clogged then replace it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you