sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I've been trying to find some information about a faulty

Customer Question

Hi, I've been trying to find some information about a faulty frost indicator for a Ford Mondeo The airconditioning does not work if the car temperature is below zero. Trust us, we are in Australia, Perth and it's currently 39degrees
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?
Customer: Yes coolant levels are good
JA: What year is your Mondeo?
Customer: 150,000km on the clock 2007 Ford Mondeo XR5 turbo
JA: Are you fixing your Mondeo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am. I got a new temperature control. We've also had air conditioning mechanics regas the car but the mechanics claimed the gas level was OK
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The lowest I have seen the car temperature read is -44 degrees celcius I think that will do for now...thank you
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

If the outside temperature reading is incorrectly cold and the a/c doesn't work then you have an issue with the ambient temperature sensor signal. The ambient temperature sensor is what reads outside air temperature and is used for the outside temperature display. The a/c compressor will be disabled if it thinks ambient temperature is under freezing so the a/c not working is most likely related. You may have a wiring or connection issue but the sensor may have failed also, it will require some electrical testing to determine what is going on.