Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

Vx comodore over fueling at start up(flooding). V6 engine. I

Customer Question

Vx comodore over fueling at start up(flooding). V6 engine. I have cleaned the maf and sprayed the connectors on it , also on the throttle body ( there r 2 there) I suspect dodgy engine temp sensors. There is 1 under the thermostat is there any more on this motor? Allso the temp guage doesnt all ways read correct. There is a low speed fan relay missing I only noticed that a short time ago.(not my car). I am going 2 buy a new relay fot the low speed fan 2morrow. Any help greatly appreciated. Cheers Gruver
JA: Have you checked the connectors on the sensor itself? It's important that they not be loose or corroded. What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: No not yet. 2001 vx commodore auto
JA: Are you fixing your Commodore yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes.replaced the plugs, new stator motor checked the connection on the crank position sensor, cleaned the maf in the intake, replaced fuel filter, swaped the fuel injection relay (made no differance) oil and filter change,
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I dpnt think so thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

Hi there,

You have done a lot of work so far.

Have you checked the cooling system is full, bled correctly?

Does it blow black smoke on startup, when you say overfueling?

Did the spark plugs reveal anything?

I would say no doubt the engine has overheated without a low speed fan relay fitted.

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

Hello again,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Happy new year.

Kind regards

Gary

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi I appear to have fixed the starting problem , I believe it was a bad connection to the temp sensor I pulled it off and sprayed it with contact cleaner also did the same with the cam position sensor. I have fitted a new low speed fan relay but I notice that neither fan run even when up to operating temp. The fan on the passanger side of the radiator came on when I turned the air con on. The fan on the drivers side would run intermitently before I put the relay in ( I don't believe putting a new relay in the low speed side should affect this) I also installed a new thermostat, outlet housing and gasket and blead the system, temp guage is working good now and I have been checking the water temps with a infra red thermometer gun( sitting idling with the air on it runs at high 70s to low 80s running a 82c thermostat. Both the fan fuses at good,is there any thing else I need to check to get the fan to run? Cheers
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

Have you got a 4 or 5 pin relay in there?

5 pin is correct.

Gary