Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

I accidentally put BP premium unleaded fuel into the tank on

Customer Question

I accidentally put BP premium unleaded fuel into the tank on my Holden Combo Van instead of premium unleaded what is your recommended procedure to get it out
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: it doesn't start but it still turns over I'd say the spark plug would be all fouled up cause my tank was near empty when I went to top up
JA: What is the model/year of your Holden?
Customer: 1998 SB series Holden Combo Mini Van
JA: What year is your MINI?
Customer: It's not a mini it's a Holden Combo Van 1998 SB series
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far I have made an attempt to Siffon the diesel out of the tank
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I accidentally put BP Ultimate Diesel into my Holden Combo Van instead of unleaded petrol
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
My first question was meant to say Diesel instead of unleaded petrol
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I accidentally put BP Ultimate Diesel into my Holden Combo van instead of BP Ultimate Unleaded fuel now I got to get it out and get it running I have started to Siffon the Diesel out , and have been thinking I need a new fuel filter & spark plugs cause they are probably fouled up with diesel can anyone give me a step by step procedure I don't mind getting my hands dirty
Regards ***** *****
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Matt replied 18 days ago.

hello Mark

fortunatly diesel in a petrol engine isn't as bad as petrol into a diesel engine

at worst you can foul the plugs but I'd agree that replacing the fuel filter is also wise

and once you've siphoned out as much of the contaminated fuel as possible then refill with fresh petrol to dilute whats left

I'd then run the engine in this state and expect it to cough and splutter a bit but once it clears , then replace the plugs with new items

Expert:  Matt replied 17 days ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you