Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

My drivers door will not open after going through various

Customer Question

My drivers door will not open after going through various stages of locking and unlocking with the key
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Mazda?
Customer: it's 2002 Mazda 6
JA: Are you fixing your Mazda2 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried locking and unlocking it a number of times, it is a Mazda 6 2002 model
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: This is the first time that this has happened, ( I have just returned from a trip up to Sydney)
Submitted: 5 days ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 5 days ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This sounds like the common fault of the door latch itself.The door latch will fail internally mechanically and cause this fault here needing replaced.Usually this will require a lock smith or AAA company to get the door open with their tools or removing the interior door paneling which can damage the panel with the door closed with the panel needing repaired or replaced after.Once the door is opened the latch will need replaced.Unfortunately there is no other way to get the door open except these options here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I got a mechanic to check it out, and I was informed that it would need a an internal replacement mechanism costing $885.00 Au. labour and parts, Is this a fair price?
Expert:  Pete replied 5 days ago.

This all depends on what is at fault.In the US this can run around $230 US for the part plus about an hours labor charge.This would convert to $307 AU plus probably another $100 for labor.If this needs more then just the latch mechanism this can be more expensive.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete