Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

I have 1998 mercedes E430, the key will not turn in the

Customer Question

I have 1998 mercedes E430, the key will not turn in the ignition,
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Matt replied 8 days ago.

Hello

1st thing to try is adding some silicone based oil into the lock , ideally leaving the key in the lock to run oil down the key into the lock workings

leave it to soak in and then wiggle the steering back and forth to try and release the steering lock

the lock tumblers on these are prone to wear

Your local dealer can supply a brand new tumbler that will match the one originally installed on your car so you can keep the same keys. You'll have to provide the VIN and proof of ownership.
At that point swapping out lock cylinders is simple ONCE YOU GET YOUR OLD ONE TO MOVE. I wouldn't mess with it until you have the new part in hand. Otherwise you'll be drilling out the old tumbler and that's no easy task

Expert:  Matt replied 8 days ago.

and the fact that the drivetrain / prop was disconnected shouldn't have made any difference

Expert:  Matt replied 5 days ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you