Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

My key codes keep getting droppe, been to dealers a couple

Customer Question

JA: Hello. How can we help?
Customer: My key codes keep getting droppe, been to dealers a couple of times and of course they want me to replace ...key, CPU etc at huge expence. so now that I know that it is a code problem I need to know which key reader to get so as I can reprogram the keys each time it drops the codes. can you help with this or is there a better way to get the code checked/replaced?
JA: Do you have a scan tool to read the codes?
Customer: No, the dealers had these, however I see there are some available on ebay at very reasonable cost (much less than doing the costly recommended fix)
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: Ssanyong Kyron, 2010 Diesil
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It has been to dealerships 3x, and I have had a locksmith out who reprogrammed the keys/CPU using a generic computer.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car drops its codes at approx. 2 month intervals,
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  trung do replied 14 days ago.

hi key code usually store in the immobilizer computer and those tend to have small voltage with key it alive during key off mode , first thing I would check is if there contend voltage at the computer terminal, did u get a change to have the computer scan for any code present

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks for the answer,I had the CPU tested for voltage drop, all was fine, the code revealed that the CPU was not detecting the key.The reason I believe that there is a coding error in the CPU is that on each occasion the key codes are reset in the CPU, then the keys themselves are reset. Following this the key is inserted and all is fine for a month or two.This is why I am looking for a cheap key coder (they are about $180 on eBay), much cheaper than the dealer suggestion of renewing the key system and CPU (app $1500 excluding fitting).Can you suggest a make/model of key reader that can be used on a SsangYong Kyron?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Would it be possible to get a response please?