Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

I HAVE A 2008 ML280CDI WITH A BATTERY DRAIN PROBLEM. I HAVE

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2008 ML280CDI WITH A BATTERY DRAIN PROBLEM. I HAVE REPLACED THE TWO BATTERIES BUT STILL HAVE THE FLAT BATTERY PROBLEM. THREE DIFFERENT AUTO ELECTRICIANS CANNOT FIND THE PROBLEM.
JA: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?
Customer: YES THE AUTO ELECTRICIANS HAVE WITH NO RESULT
JA: What is the model of your '08 Mercedes?
Customer: ML280CDI
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: NO I AM NOT TRYING TO FIX IT MYSELF
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  discostew replied 21 days ago.

Hi Garry im stew a mechanic here in australia,can you just clarify for me,the battery keeps going flat?like overnite or from a charged battry to the next time you go to start flat again?,i would hope the auto elec has checked the charge rate first?, i have a few ideas,,just want a bit more info first,thanks stew

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Once the nrma jump starts the car for me and I drive the car for a few days no problem but if don't drive the car for two or three days the battery is flat holding only about three amps I have noticed that the computer screen sometimes ehas frozen and I can't switch from radio to telephone or gps l always lock the car when not in use and the lights are turned off hope you can give me a plan of action
Expert:  discostew replied 20 days ago.

Hi Gary, i want to see...yes charges at 14.7 volts(proves good altenator)does not drop with electrical load like high beam(proves regulator good),3 auto elecs and no one can tell me charge rate?the battery shop should have tested this.a flat battery has zero amps,do you mean 3 volts?.comp screen etc will only work properly with 12 volt or more.our issue is the battery going flat...yes?,,,look for a small load staying on,, like the glove box light,or under bonnet lamp if it has one,vanity mirror lamp,,,this type of small load would take some time to flatten a fully charged battery.if the vehicle is fitted with ANY non-mercedes devices like dvd,phone,elec. rust proofing,dash cam etc.dissconnect/unplug ALL of them before looking for a mercedes problem,please give me a charge rate in volts ,stew