sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

The Panoramic Sunroof on my 2005 Mercedes-Benz A170 Elegance

Customer Question

The Panoramic Sunroof on my 2005 Mercedes-Benz A170 Elegance Auto cannot open. It slides back about 2mm then stops. I can hear the motor but it opens no more than 2mm. I can close it completely and it doesnt leak. Any idea what the problem is? thnx
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 13 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

If it does attempt to move then the problem is a mechanical failure somewhere in the sunroof assembly, an electrical problem would prevent the motor from operating at all.

The problem could be the motor, a cable issue, broken guide, possibly something foreign in the channel blocking movement. If there were anything foreign causing the issue though it should have given some trouble closing when it was last used.

If there are no visible problems then the headliner and sunroof assembly are going to need to be removed and then the sunroof assembly disassembled to some degree for inspection to see what has failed and to repair it.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Thanks. Any estimate of the (1) cost to inspect, and (2) cost to repair if the entire system needs replacing?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 12 days ago.

Cost is going to vary quite a bit depending on where you go, what parts need to be replaced, where the parts come from and the labor rate of the shop doing the work. A basic inspection would most likely be an hour labor charge. Worst case scenario would be replacing the assembly which will be in the $4,000 area.