sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Vehicle is a 2012 Cherokee Jet Limited. When on wet/loose

Customer Question

vehicle is a 2012 Cherokee Jet Limited. When on wet/loose surfaces, or up an incline covered in grass, the vehicle comes to a stop with a loud 'grinding' noise from either or both the front areas and the traction control light illuminates on the drivers panel. Is this normal?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Bought the vehicle a month ago, and only became aware of it when in the above conditions. Place we bought from says its normal- have a 3 month warranty on it. I think its coming from the transmission/ drivetrain system
JA: Are you fixing your Cherokee yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No I'm not fixing myself, just trying to find out if such noises associated with the traction control are normal
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that is about all I have right now.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Its ounds as if you're describing the ABS system activating. If the brakes are applied hard enough to lock up then the ABS pump will activate to prevent lockup. If this only happens on a wet surface when braking and you hear a brief noise then you're almost surely hearing normal ABS pump operation.