Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

I would like how to reset my immobiliser on my 1989 bx

Customer Question

Hi i would like how to reset my immobiliser on my 1989 bx citroen , when i turn on my on ignition the alarm sounds i try to cancel it with the remote,but it wont cancel the remote itself it appears to be working l installed new a battery when l press the remote button the red light appears which indicates to me that it is ok but it will not cancel the alarm.l hope me with this problem please. Terry
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Matt replied 20 days ago.

Hello Terry

1st try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the battery cables and clamping them together for 10 mins. Remove both battery leads from the battery then use a nut and bolt or G-clamp to hold both battery lead terminals together.

This discharges any capacitors / memory within the ECU and around the car so ensures all memory settings are wiped clear - back to the factory default.

This will reset all the systems on the car and you may need the radio security code to get it going again, and ensure that the keys are in your hand when you re-connect the battery as the car may lock and turn on the alarm

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi Matt tried as you suggested but that alarm still there when l turn on the ignition, but ceases to sound when i turn key to start, but the go on the lights on the dash . the alarm when i release the key. l hope this not the end . l look forward to response many thanks .Terry
Expert:  Matt replied 18 days ago.

Hello Terry

in that case

Find the alarm cancel switch - it's on the facia to the right of the steering wheel, has a picture of crossed out speaker on it. Lock the car, then unlock it again, open the door, put the key in and turn on the ignition, then press the alarm cancel button - you need to do this within 10s of opening the door (not exactly sure on this - you might need to press the button on hold it in whilst turning the ignition on.)

this should reset the alarm

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi Matt on the facia to right of the steering wheel, there is two switchs one is hazard lights the other is windscreen washers . Terry.
Expert:  Matt replied 17 days ago.

hello Terry

do you have a key switch anywhere on the fascia or on the end of the dashboard? , where you open the doors and then view the end of the dash, some model have the switch here