Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

1998 diamante really rough gear change auto gearbox at about

Customer Question

1998 diamante really rough gear change auto gearbox at about 80km
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you noticed any fluid leaks lately?
Customer: No leaks 222000 km gear change worse when under load eg towing trailer
JA: Are you fixing your Diamante yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. Tried nothing
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 month ago.

Hello

I'd take a look at the colour of the transmission oil it should be a dark red colour if its black then its needs changing together with its oil filter. Also check its level with the gearbox warm and just after you've moved the selector through all the positions leaving it for a few seconds in each one and then back to park.

You can top up the box through the dipstick tube if required and make sure you use the correct oil for your car as the fluids are not all the same. Some manufacturers recommended a change of the type of fluid - Speak to the local dealer and parts dept - they will advise you on the updated fluid to use..

If that’s all OK then check all the electrical connections of the gearbox, remove each connector in turn and spray with contact cleaner. Check that the wiring to the gearbox is in good condition with no chafing or frayed wire

If this is OK then check the selector lever linkage / cable under the car for any broken parts and or missing bolts as if this is coming adrift then it can rub on the car body or just bind up

Then - you should top up if low and re try it - or, if its level is ok - and condition is ok - then the next step is to drain it off - open it up and clean the filters inside -- refill and retry it..

Often - just doing the above cures many troubles with these - and you certainly can't condemn the unit without doing the above...

Expert:  Matt replied 28 days ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thanks Matt your answer was great thank you so much
Expert:  Matt replied 22 days ago.

glad to help

if you wouldn't mind just taking a moment to push on the star buttons close / rate the question

thanks