Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

2004 x Type 2.0 l. Car has done 240000 kms.Fuel? problems

Customer Question

2004 x Type 2.0 l. Car has done 240000 kms.Fuel? problems Replaced x 4 complete in tank pump. Solves problem for a few thousand kms. Car loses power then cuts out. Switch off place in park (sometimes 3 times) before it will start. Runs ok for about 2-3kms then does the same again. Eventually distance travelled between cut outs reduces to a few hundred meters, then to 0 Cannot use the car. Fuel or computer problem?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

From what you have described this doesnt sound fuel related here.This sounds more ignition related and one of the most common causes for this issue is a failing crank position sensor/engine rpm sensor.This sends the engine rpm signal to the ignition components and computer.This sensor will heat up and act up just like this here getting worse the more you run it and may run longer when the engine is colder.This sensor is also common to not set off a fault code making it difficult to diagnose in some cases.If this was not replaced I suspect this is the cause and I have had to replace several of these sensors in the past before on various model vehicles for this exact same fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete