Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

My sons car is stumping us. He put a cleaner through the

Customer Question

My sons car is stumping us. He put a cleaner through the fuel and went to go to work next day and it stopped on him luckily only 1k away so we got it home. Since then he put a new fuel pump, fuel filter and fuel line. Would idol but die on excelleration, so he got lube mobile out to clean the injectors, the injectors werent dirty but he clean them any way. They managed to get it going and he drove it around the block twice and parked it up. Went to leave 15 min later and turning over but not starting again. He cleaned the points in the distributor and put new spark plugs in, leads are new. Still turning over and not starting. Need someone to inspect it so we can find whats wrong with it and fix it. Desperately wanting my car back lol
JA: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?
Customer: Couple weeks before it died no i dont smell gas around the engire
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 1993 nissan nivara ka24 engine
JA: Are you fixing your Navara yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: My first message is what we have tried so far. Yes we doing it ourselves
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that i know of
Submitted: 30 days ago.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 30 days ago.
Would the 93 nivara have a relay and if so where would it be?
Expert:  Matt replied 29 days ago.

Hello

I'd do some basic checks to start with

1st check for spark by removing one of the spark plugs and plug it back into its lead and rest it on the metal of the engine ( DO NOT hold it on place by hand) then have your assistant turn the engine over whilst you watch the plug. It should give a fat blue spark at regular intervals.

If not then check that there's power to the coil pack (at the other end of the plug lead) using a meter. If there’s 12V at the pack but no spark then check the ECU power supply (fuse and relay) and also the connections to the crankshaft speed sensor.

If there is a spark and its still not starting then its likely that the ECU isn't opening the fuel injectors, if the injectors are working you can hear them click - its difficult to hear them with background noise so use a long screwdriver like a stethoscope, placing the handle end in your ear and the metal tip against the body of the injector whilst your assistant turns the engine over.

If you can't hear anything check the ECU power is present by measuring voltage at the fusebox and on its relay socket if OK then check the connections to the crank speed sensor and consider replacing this sensor if the wiring / connections look OK

If the car will start using a squirt of quick/ easi start into the intake then this confirms the problem is lack of fuel

Also its worth checking that the electric pump that feeds the injectors is working correctly, it should run for a few seconds then switch off when you first turn the ignition on. If you remove the filler cap to the fuel tank and listen inside while your assistant flicks the ignition you should hear it clearly

If the connections to this are corroded or damaged then the pump could stop at any time. Check that its relay switches in and out and the relay contacts are clean and bright – replace the relay if in any doubt and do the same for the fuse, ideally measure the voltage at the pump and check its getting 12V.

You should be getting around 3 bar measured at the injector rail check to see if the plugs are getting wet indicating fuel is flowing

Expert:  Matt replied 27 days ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you