Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Greg, my 03 tribute V6 wont rev past about 2000 revs, I have

Customer Question

hi Greg, my 03 tribute V6 wont rev past about 2000 revs, I have taken the motor out and put another complete motor in out of another car that was going fine before being removed, put it into the tribute and now it is doing exactly the same as the old engine, I have changed the ECM, key and key sensor, nothing has changed same problem exists, fuel pump and filter has been changed, any ideas how to fix it??
JA: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?
Customer: yes I have changed everything possible from one car to the other and nothing has changed, could it be the power steering pressure switch as that's the only thing that hasn't been changed?
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: 2003 mazda tribute 3litre V6
JA: Are you fixing your Tribute yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes and all of the above
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no,
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  david craig replied 6 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. the power steering pressure switch has nothing to do with this problem. its going to be the transmission that is the issue here. seen it many times as people make the mistake of replacing the engine for the exact same problem before having it properly diagnosed.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the complete motor and transmission was changed from the other vehicle including the eng wire harness and it was running fine in the other vehicle?

the only other possible engine component that could cause this issue is the mass airflow sensor. un plug it and see how it revs.

ive seen this happen also. was the same mass airflow sensor used ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is that the one on the air intake tube that goes to the airbox? as I did swap this and while the engine is going if I unplug it the motor will stall

yes, thats it.

leave it unplugged and start the motor

see if the rev point changes

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it wont start when unplugged

ok, thats unusual. did you happen to replace the pcm from the other vehicle also?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I haven't changed it since I changed the ECM ignition barrel and sensor just before maybe I should, it may not be corresponding with the other ECM

check engine light on?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
only on when you turn the key on, once started the light goes out, everything in the instrument panel is working fine
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
maybe I need to remove the muffler to make sure its not choking it?

better yet, do a back pressure test to make sure the catalytic converter isnt clogged

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
still has the same ones attatched to it from when it was in the other car and it was working fine then

Im out of ides my friend. maybe have the computer reprogrammed. ill opt out and see if another tech has an idea

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok thankyou , has me totally baffled too as I have changed everything from one car to the next!
Expert:  Roy replied 6 months ago.

good morning

do you still need help???

Roy

Expert:  EricFromCT replied 6 months ago.

Hi. I would like to add, just because the cats are the ones from the replacement engine, it does not mean the exhaust is not plugged further down the line.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
hi sorry I haven't been home all week till now ive fixed it my self the muffler was blocked , you wouldn't believe it could cause so much trouble, thanks for your help anyway