Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

VW 1996 Golf. Gearbox not engaging. Have checked and topped

Customer Question

VW 1996 Golf. Gearbox not engaging. Have checked and topped up transmission fluid. Gears still not engaging. What level does transmission fluid have to be? Which fuse operates gearbox, so we can check if fuse is blown?
JA: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?
Customer: Don't know. Have owned car for 3 yrs not changed in my time. Crrent KM 182907, timing belt recently changed and care serviced. Then gearbox failed.
JA: What is the make/model of your car?
Customer: VW Golf 1996 Mk95A
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked transmission fluid level. Not sure how high fluid level has to be. Car does not move at all in Drive position nor in Reverse.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just fluid level and which fuse operates gearbox. Thanks.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hope you can help by tomorrow (Sunday) as am in process of selling car and trying to get it mobile!! Thank you.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Forgot to add, of course, that this is an Automatic gearbox!
Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Hello

the unit should take 3.0 ltrs of ATF to fill it and there's a fill plug on the side, where with the car on level ground you keep adding fluid until it runs out of the hole

and there's no fuse just for the auto box, as its controlled by the ECU

Expert:  Matt replied 5 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you