Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

Engine light comes on code 135,3rd cylinder not firing

Customer Question

engine light comes on code 135,3rd cylinder not firing properly,changed plugs and leads, light still comes on . had engine reconditined and then changed all sensors, light still comes on, loss of power when engine warm. according to mechanic , voltage falls off?
JA: Has your vehicled stalled? Has anyone run a diagnostic test to pull the trouble code?
Customer: Auto sparky has run many scans, think it could be coils? i think its something to do with fuel?, spent $9000 on it so far and pulling my hair out!!
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2006 tanspoter t5 petrol
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have tried several different mechanics and sparkies, first they replaced the emission control sensors,then the air pump, then accellerator sensor, then plugs and leads,then i had the engine reconditioned (done 356000kms,some times a light circle with triangle appears and sometimes engine warning light comes on. usually all lights go off if you stop and turn off, then will go good for awhile then power drops off and engine light comes on again.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: power loss seems to happen sometimes when going around corners or roundabouts
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your input to my questions so I may help you better. That code for #3 cyl misfire is constant?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The light comes on and off,usually comes on when van under pressure

so then that would usually indicate a misfire from that cylinder for some reason, checking your notes I see just the plugs were replaced , the rest of parts replaced would not have helped a situation for a single cylinder misfire.What should be done now is to swap that cylinders coil or wire to a good one and see if the code changes , if not then swap that injector with a good one and see if it changes, If note then do a compression check on that cylinder THIS IS THE PROCEDURE TO ILLUMINATE ANY GUESS WORK AND ISOLATE THE PROBLEM..