Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer
24571351

I have a clicking noise coming from the rear diff area when

Customer Question

Hi Doug . I have a clicking noise coming from the rear diff area when easing off and easing on the accelerator ?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Seems to be either from the rear diff or perhaps either side of it. One mechanic looked at it and reckons the diff is fine , oil clean etc
JA: What is the model/year of your Mitsubishi?
Customer: 2010 Paj Diesel 7 seater
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, I have not done anything yet except get the diff checked by a mechanic . it does not seem to be affecting the car at all , just a bit annoying and I'm concerned it could be damaging something else. I read on line that the rear splines could need cleaning and greasing ?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks , everything else is working well. The vehicle has done 160,000 km and serviced every 10,000 km. Runs well otherwise.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer. I value your input to my questions so I may help you better.When you apply and release the pressure to the back is play in the drive line making that noise.This can be caused by worn out u joints in the drive shaft excessive play in the drive shaft splines, and or excessive back lash in the differential, what to do is grab ahold of the drive shaft and rotate it back and forth to see if there is any play or recessive backlash disconnect the drive shaft from the diff and check each u joint for play and the splines as well then you have to use a dial meter to check the backlash in the diff if it is within specs. Hope this gives you some direction to go to solve your problem. If you require further assistance I'll be happy to do so.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Peter. The clicking / knocking sound is worse upon releasing the accelerator. I have had a mechanic check the drive shaft and the diff and he reckons they are fine ?

hmmm how did he check the diff did he use a dial gauge and record the backlash ? that's crusial and very comen. it should be no more then 3-.0005 in backlash but don't tell them that just ask what it was if indeed they checked it . If your getting this only when you apply and release the gas it is definatly play in the drive line .I would get another opinion .

Just checking to see how things are going and if you need further help or advice? If notcould you please take time to rate my answers .Thank you.

Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 26 days ago.

have you had time to check out and rate my question please do so , thank you

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
The answer was helpful though in the end it was a handbrake adjustment. Thanks