Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I've got a 2006 toyota lwb van, a reconditioned engine was

Customer Question

Hi I've got a 2006 toyota lwb van, a reconditioned engine was put in the van about 9months ago and about a month later a new radiator and thermostat were also installed. It ran perfectly until 2 weeks ago when the van started overheating due to a hole in the radiator. A mobile mechanic replaced the radiator and put a new thermostat in and ran for few days until it started overheating again. He recommended bringing it back to the garage who did all the original work as it was still under warranty. He couldn't find any problem with the head gasket and thinks it's a engine problem. So I brought it back to the original mechanic who did all the work and he said that the thermostat didn't need changing and the van engine and head gasket were fine but he had the van for two days and just said there were air pockets in the system and it takes a long to come out so he didn't do actually anything and just got the air out of the system. Since I got the van back it did about 300ks until it started overheating again. I rang the original mechanic again and now he reckons it's a faulty thermostat and wants to change it even though the heat and fans are all working. I'm just wondering do yous have any ideas what the problem might be. Every time the van overheated I pulled over straight away and it was never without water and I've had to top it up with about 5litres every time. It's only loosing water through the overflow when it's pressuring.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hi Kevin,

Sounds like a head gasket issue to me.

I would conduct a test for CO (carbon monoxide) in the coolant.

If this passes, and depends on the mechanic, I would then monitor the cooling system pressure with a gauge while driving.

I would replace the thermostat as well, because they DO go faulty once they have got too hot.

Some things for your mechanic to think about.

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 2 months ago.

Hi Kevin,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary