FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

I have a xc70 - 2006, cold starts re very rough, and often

Customer Question

hi, I have a xc70 - 2006, cold starts re very rough, and often needs a 2nd start, I have p0016 and p0017 in my diag. I replaced the inlet cam actuator solenoid to no avail
JA: Have you checked the key fob's battery?
Customer: ?
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: not sure what my key battery has to do with rough running at cold start
JA: Are you fixing your XC70 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced a solenoid as explained in a previous message
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nah
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I also saw the timing advance go negative when idling(see attachment)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I replaced all 5 spark plugs
Expert:  FixItMan replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** you tell me how many miles are on the vehicle. Has the timing belt ever been replaced?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It has done about 168,000 km
Yeah the timing belt was replaced when I bought it, at around 160,000 (together with water pump)
The head gasket was also blown and replaced (and head re-engineered) around the same time
the problems with the rough start/idle when cold wasn't really apparent at that time
Expert:  FixItMan replied 1 month ago.

Thank you. If the timing belt is still fine then most of the time the issue is either from the lubrication system or the cam timing actuator. I am sure that you have done this, but make sure the engine has a new, good quality oil filter and the correct weight oil. If that is fine then it is more than likely a bad actuator. I usually monitor the cam and crank signals to see if they correlate as one or the other, usually a bad cam sensor, will read incorrectly and cause this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
okay, so even if the lube system is not performing right it can still generate the p0016 and p0017?
I will get the oil and filter done first, I honestly haven't done that in a little while
Expert:  FixItMan replied 1 month ago.

Yes. If the computer commands a change in valve timing and the oiling system is not functioning right then this will occur.