Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have just changed my toyota aurion prodigy, 2009 model,

Customer Question

I have just changed my toyota aurion prodigy, 2009 model, putting in 6 litre but the dip stick indicate well above the c orrect oil level?
JA: When was your last oil change?
Customer: 12
JA: What is the model of your '09 Toyota?
Customer: 10 months ago & done 9,oookm. O d o 75,000km. Changing it earluer because I am hoing to Adelaide trip next week
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No. It has being running well.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just the dip stick level do not matched the amount of oil (much much more??) Than I have put in of 6 lit
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Should I remove some of the oil (ie oil in car will be less than 6 lit, as required for an oil & filter change, as required by the toyota manual pg 347?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

Just to make sure, you did crank the engine and run it for a few minutes to ensure it circulated thru the engine and oil filter, correct?

And did you replace the filter on this oil change?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Eric, I run the motor around the block before I checked the oil and it is indicating about 3 to 4 lengths, higher than the lengths bw the low & high oil marks?? Also the engine now shakes abit, when you start the car initially, like abit of knocking???Eric, I have serviced all my last Ford Falcon EL until 450,000km, before I upgraded to the Prodigy at 20,000km. This has baffled me? I dont want to take some of the 6 lit Nulon 10w-30w oil out that I have just put in - just to get to match the dip stick mark??? Please help, going to Adelaide on Wed?
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

It is possible that all the old oil did not drain out due to some sludging of the oil or restriction in the oil galley passages. The engine shaking can be due to excessive oil.

You need to drain a little bit to get it to the correct level. Running too much oil over a distance can damage the rear main seals or the piston rings.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
the small oil filter were replaced during the oil change. Intend on changing Toyota filter with every oil change on the prodigy. Unlike my last two Falcons (XF& EL, both been nearly driven into the graves, all about under 500,000km odo.), I have changed my past Ford Z9 filters at alternate oil chages only. What I have done, us as the car get older, I reduced my km travelled oil changes, to shorter durations (in the end, at 6,000km duration, but at the start at 15,000km duration)
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

Ok, you did everything right. Based upon prior experience and without benefit of inspecting the oil pan, I suspect there is some oil sludge buildup which means that the correct amount of oil put in will show as overfull due to the oil sludge. Drain a bit out to get to the correct level on the oil dipstick in order to prevent excess pressure buildup from the overfull condition

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Does the Nulon semi snythetic 10w-30w more prone to sludges formation than the old valvoline XLD 20w-50w?? Another thing too, I thought the Toyota oil filter (needing a special "cap tool" to open, more expensive, so much smmaller, are a few steps backwards??
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

HI,

Synthetic is supposed to be less prone to sludging than conventional oil and the 10w30 should be less prone than 20w50. But there are always variables at play - mileage between oil changes, quality of filter, if engine runs hot.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am going to take some oil out today, to be bw the the high & low oil marks of the dip stick, as a temparary measures for these few days short drives. Hopelly to stop the initial vibrations of the car when initially being started. Will then book into a Toyota dealer asap, on Mon or Tues (1/11/16) for them to fix it, PROPERLY. As I am going to Adelaide on Wed, can't afford to stuff up 3 other people's holidays too, not to mention about my new car.....????Must admit at this last oil change, I forget to put my fingers thru the dirty oil, to feels its viscosity and for any metals or metal chips, as I was being taught to do.......Got abit too contented with this new & newish car outllook & dropped on my guard.
Expert:  Eric replied 8 months ago.

Ok, sounds good and should be fine when you get the oil to the correct level on the diptstick

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Eric,
I have drained the oil out again, but when I took the whole new filter out, only about 1 lit of oil came out by gravity with the new filter. I tried to use a thin wire "to tickle" and/or dislodge any sludges - No LUCK !! In the end, I know there were plenty of oil in the engine (based on the dip stick), I then started the engine for a SHORT WHILE while the oil sump plug was OPENED and a big basin at the bottom to trap the dirty oil gushing out. Then check the dip stick again, before my next starting again. Had to do this processes 3 x times..... of "short start/stop & check on oil level" process. In the end, together with the 6 lit of new oil I have put in two days ago, I have today altogether took out about 10 lit to 11 lit of "not that clean oil" just now?? (Must be due to the contaminations from the previously sludged & blocked dirty oil. After all, have only done two short trips & my scary & "not so smooth" trips) That is took out 11 lit of dirty oil, before the dip stick failed register no more oil. I make sure NOT to drain TOO much, nor too far....?..So, I put the new filter back, but in many SMALL steps of at Half a litre EACH TIME & AFTER checking the dip stick OIL LEVEL FIRST, after running the engine prior, before addinng the next half lit of new oil again. TheThe end result, the engine initial starting vibrations is now gone and the dip stick is at the correct level. The oil on the dip stick also looks cleaner too. After my Adelaide trip in 2 weeks plus, only after about 2 to 4 thousand km travelled, I will do another oil change and see wthether the oil will drained by itself freely by gravity this time??? If it does not drain freely, I will continune to do "my forced oil evacuvation" and also do more frequent oil changes (ie 6months or 5,000km, which ever comes first), UNTIL EVETYTHING works properly again. (As compared to Book Speci of 9 months or 15,000km)CHARLES LOW
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well Eric, what do you think of what I have done? The car is driving beautifully again. Want your professional opinion of what I have done - unconventional ?
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

HI,

A little unconventional way of doing an engine flush, but it worked and that is what counts

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Eric,
How do you do a proper engine flush? Do you use proper oil, or something else more economical? Luckily, I have a stock of the proper oil, bought on special, handy to complete my task. Unconventional, yes, because I was not trained for this task. Just applying some common sense....... Gee, did it causes me abit of stress prior & concerns too, about doing some real damages to my still newish car.
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

HI,

They sell engine oil flush at parts stores. You buy a can of it and put in with the oil in it. Run it for about 5 minutes and then drain the oil and change the filter. The oil flush loosens and liquefies the sludge so that it will drain

Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Eric,
You have given me some very good, sound & appropriate car maintenance advice. Thank you so much. I am quite sure I have resolved my car issue in here. Will do an oil change after Adelaide trip, but will put a can of these oil flush in & run the car for about 5 mind prior, as you have suggested. Any particular brands & will the remainder old oil left in the sump not drained, will it affect the final viscosity of the oil, after my post Adelaide oil change??Eric I have rated you a few days ago as - "Very Good" & thanks so much again for following up with the loose & untied end.Charles Low
Expert:  Eric replied 7 months ago.

you are welcome