discostew
discostew,
Experience:  proprietor at port steering & alignment
14364445

I have a 96 900 saab i know lucky me but i cant get power to

Customer Question

Hi I have a 96 900 saab i know lucky me but i cant get power to the fuel pump
JA: Have you checked all the fuses?
Customer: yes i even fitted a new fuel pump
JA: Are you fixing your 900 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i have fitted a new fuel pump i have checked all fuses the car will run if i put power to the fuel pump\
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it was running just fine then i left it to go os for one year when i came home it would not start it had very small amount of fuel in the tank for that year but i have had it running by supplying power by a lead to the fuel pump
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. the very first thing to do is to inspect the wiring for mouse chewings. it was outside for a year and the critters love the taste of the wire insulation.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi David, yes I done that, I have also checked all fuses and relays inside and inside the engine bay. When I am cranking the engine the rev counter is not moving at all how ever when I trun on the key the fuel gauge moves
Expert:  discostew replied 1 month ago.

Hi JA cust,im stew a mechanic here in australia,fuel pump will only run when ecu see's a rotating crankshaft,rotating crankshaft=energise fuel pump relay..you say it runs when you power the pump...so....i would replace fuel pump relay(relay is weakest link in sensor/relay/pump chain of command,looking that the relay exists does not check its operation or circuit integrity,cheers stew

Expert:  discostew replied 1 month ago.

Hi again,just to clarify,overnite thought was thus,by remote powering of the pump you are bypassing not just the pump relay but the crank signal as well,therefore youre problem is ,the pump relay ,the crank signal/sensor,or both,cheers stew