Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

After a mechanic fitted a new rocker cover gasket my but 50

Customer Question

After a mechanic fitted a new rocker cover gasket my but 50 has lost power we think it has gone into limp home mode it has no fault codes or lights on dash and the only thing removed from engine during the rocker gasket change was the injectors is there any way we can determain if it is in limp home mode as the new injectors are approx 2 thousand dollars and if it will fix the problem so be it but I don't really want to waste the money if it isn't gonna fix the problem can you guys give me any help would be greatly appreciated it has been a brilliant vehicle and would really like to have it back its been 4 weeks and nobody seems to be able to sort it out
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

Hi Raymond,

I would say your first mechanic is at fault here.

Unlikely to need new injectors if it was running fine prior to the rocker cover gasket job.

The injector seat washers need to be replaced when the injectors are removed, and the injectors need to be torqued to spec when refitted.

The injector bodies and the tubes in the head need to be spotlessly clean on reassembly.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

Hi Raymond,

Do you need any further help?

I hope my advice has been of assistance to you.

Kind regards

Gary