Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

I just bought a 2013 x5 30d and have noticed it has started

Customer Question

Hi I just bought a 2013 x5 30d and have noticed it has started to get annoying vibrations when sat idling at the lights.it? Its not overly bad but really annoying. I was reading on the net about the vacuum engine mounts the diesels have. Have you guys heard of this issue before or have any ideas what it could be? I was even thinking it may be the transmission mounts. Its basically the engine vibration passing through the steering wheel. There is a dull drone throughout the whole cab and some of the interior shakes a bit. I have took it to a bmw dealership and they are telling me it is normal for this car. I have taken it to two independant bmw service centers and they have both said it is not right but cant pin point the problem. These cars have a motor mount that hardens and softens depending on the rev range. It is at idle regardless of drive neutral or reverse. Please let me know if you have any advice
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  david craig replied 6 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. the test that has never failed me is the vibration, more vibration in drive, and vibration in reverse. Vibration in P and N much less but there. If you turn the AC on, the vibration in every gear becomes 70 percent less. This is exactly the same diagnosis I have had with every broken mount I ever dealt with. I would also put one foot on the brake and put it in gear and with the other foot give it gas and watch the engine jump.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
As originally stated, the issue doesnt seem to change depending on d r or n. There is no change with ac either. I did do the final teat you recommended there is a bit of engine movement but no jumping as you advised.

.the most likely cause is the transmission mount then. if it were the other motor mounts, you would definitely notice it when put into gear it would thud.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I have had the transmission mounts checked by BMW, they reported no issues. The vibration is the exact engine resonance but through the steering wheel. Have you had any experience with an x5 diesel. Bmw tell me its a characteristic of the car...

I have plenty of experience with the x drives, but not with the diesel. I will opt out and let another tech chime in who may be able to help. good luck.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Still no response?