Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

Have a au idling fast and not firing on number one replaced

Customer Question

Hi have a au idling fast and not firing on number one replaced coil pack can you help
JA: How many miles are on the car? What size is the engine?
Customer: 6 cyl 146,470 au 111
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: ford au 111 04/02
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes replaced coil pack, replaced spark plugs test lead and compression test
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: scanner wont connect trying to fix for a lady with little money
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

Hello

if you've replaced the coil pack already then do you now have spark on the missing cylinder?

if you do then I'd check the condition of the injector plugs / connections as this could be a lean misfire if an injector isn't firing properly - the best way to check this is with a 'noid' light

http://www.noidlight.com/

also check for an airleak after the airflow meter, any air dragged in here isn't 'seen' by the ECU and so not compensated for and leans the engine out causing rough running.

Check the hose clips for tightness and inspect the trunking for any cracks or splits and also all the vacuum system, the small bore pipes and fittings for cracks and missing parts.

The best way to locate a leak is to have the engine running and warm and then spray lighter gas around each joint in turn. If the engine rev's up you've found your leak.

Work your way through each possible joint one at a time and you should find it. I use a slightly flattened piece of brake pipe and some rubber hose from the can of lighter gas to provide a spraying 'wand' and allow a direct blast of gas into each area, especially those difficult to reach with large implements.

Expert:  Matt replied 7 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you