Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

I have a merc 1994 c 180 petrol, my problem is i think

Customer Question

Hi i have a merc 1994 c 180 petrol, my problem is i think petrol related whats happening is car running great then will cut out while driving ,car can run ok for months then this happens, can occur 3 to 5 in a 5 to***** plugs,leads,fuel filter are new. Did take to merc mechanic could not find fault at a lost, so any hints would be great, had car for 18 years with no trouble. Thankyou steve.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Steve, Im David, thanks for visiting the site. Is there any relation to the weather when this happens? cold, hot, wet?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dose not have a bearing.

is the problem currently happening or is it running ok for now?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Car idles normal, fuel usage normal, when it happens i usual restart car, revving up in neutral or park, then back into drive and drive off, a all back to normal driving till next time.

so when it happens you have to keep it revved up until you put it into drive, or it revs up by itself?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am in tasmania at present, car in south australia with my partner .

sorry, but intermittent problems like these pretty much require a scan tool that reads live data hooked up to the vehicle and can capture a freeze frame of the data when the problem starts occurring. then it can be diagnosed back at the shop to see what was happening during the problem.

the only thing i can suggest other than that is having a fuel pressure test and a compression test and a back pressure test done. to make sure the engine is ok, the fuel pump is ok and the catalytic converter is ok

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Have been looking in car manual for clues, answers. All i can thing of is fuel problem, maybe missed something electrical.

its always possible to miss something electrical on todays vehicles. there is just some many thing that can issues. short of performing continuity test of all the engine control wiring and doing wiggle test of the wiring to try to get something to mess up.

do you still need assistance?

hello????

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did send a reply david thanking you i have taken all that you suggest and a friend mechanic in adelaide to address you suggestion
i see what the outcome is, so thanks agian steve.