Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

The remote entry fob keeps chewing batteries.on my 99 xkr

the remote entry fob keeps chewing batteries.on my 99 xkr Jag. the batteries only last maybe 2 weeks and i don't drive the car every day.It has the recommended battery in the remote. (2032)
JA: Have you checked the fob's battery?
Customer: yes. I replace it when it stops working and it id fine for a coulpe of weeks then is dead. As soon as i replace the battery it works fine again ,but the battery is dead again after the two weeks. what could be causing this battery drain? My mercedes has never needed abttery replaced
JA: Are you fixing your XKR yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ive had the battery replaced professionally several times but the result is the same
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thankyou.

Hello

I'd say that the remote is faulty, as they only run the battery when you press the fob button so I'd say that there's an internal fault with the remote and its transmitting all the time

unfortunately a new remote can only be coded up by a Jaguar dealer or a specialist as you need the full level Jaguar diagnostic tool to be able to do the job

I'd expect to pay about $200 for a new fob plus an hours labour at the dealer

sorry its not better news but with security systems there are no DIY options

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you