Peter Bagley
Peter Bagley, Toyota mastertech
Experience:  master tech at Toyota dealer

Sister car: Hyundai IMax 20009 2.4lL 4cyl sohc petrol 4

Customer Question

Sister car : Hyundai IMax 20009 2.4lL 4cyl sohc petrol 4 speed auto.
Car Started making rattle noise from top of engine, when checked found oil level was below min mark and fairly degraded (serviced 2 months ago roughly 2500klm mostly highway) topped up, did seem to help a little with the noise. happened friday and havent driven the car since.
Noise is worse at cold start and always intermittent, goes away if rpm is help above 3k but comes back as soon as you let off, at its worst just above idle. Kind of sounds like ball bearings loose in the valve train ( suspect timing chain or tensioner) pulled rocker cover down to check found nothing unusual, chain looked tight but i was able to put slack between the int/ex cams by pressing on the chain ( turning one or the other cam slighty) not sure if thats normal...
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Peter Bagley replied 11 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer and allowing me to assist you. By the sounds of this I strongly recommend to have the oil pressure checked to see if the bottom end is ok and enough engine oil pressure. If the oil pressure is low it will cause all sorts of engine noises .