sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

Second opinion] - I have a problem with my speedo stop

Customer Question

Second opinion] - hi, I have a problem with my speedo stop working especially after hard acceleration, this occurs after the ABS lights flash on then off. I have had the ABS unit replaced and the battery replaced, I also have random information from the fuel usage display and the fuel gauge.
JA: Is it just the ABS light? Or is the brake system warning light on, too?
Customer: sorry brake system warning light and one other all three at the same time
JA: What is the model/year of your Ford?
Customer: 2005, territory Ghia, AWD, I think it is an SY. also the wheel sensor was replaced
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have spent nearly $4000 dollars with a good garage who used highly skilled mechanics, the initial review by ford was to change the battery that did not work so took it to a highly recommended garage.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The mechanics I had it with were at a loss and they believe it had something to do with the electronics system but they did not have the skills to confirm this.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 8 days ago.

I am not in Australia able to answer this question.

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

I'm assuming the speedometer not working coincides with the ABS light coming on. If so then I would first suspect either the ABS module is going down or wheel speed sensor signals are being lost.

Do you know what fault codes are currently setting in the ABS module?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi, the
ABS unit has been replaced and re-coded. the wheel speed sensor has been replaced. Battery has been replaced. The problem is random, it does tend to happen more regular in heave acceleration especially from standing start.
When it does go, cruise control stops working, the computer display for fuel and distance starts to show in-consistent results. the ABS, Brake light and warning light all come on at the same time and then go off, at that point all the above stops working. The lights still come on randomly after the first time. The only way to make things work again is to stop the engine and restart.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
sorry I cannot tell you I don't have access to the equipment to be able gather that information. I am trying to contact the garage that did the original work to see if they have the information last time they had the car. they were unable to identify what the problem could be.

The ABS light is ether coming on because the ABS module is losing communication or because it is identifying a failure and setting a fault code.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
as soon as I have further information I will pass this on.