sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

We have a 2002 mb100 petrol van which over the course of one

Customer Question

JA: Hello. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: We have a 2002 mb100 petrol van which over the course of one day started just loosing power until such time as I was driving home in 1st gear. It will start but has no power. We have replaced the plugs, fuel filter, air filter, fuel pump, crank shaft sensor and water pump. It still has no power. Can you please help us as we have been trying to fix out work van for months.
JA: Are you certain it's the fuel pressure sensor that's in need of attention? What about the fuel rail? Have you checked it yet?
Customer: No we have no idea what it is at all, what is the fuel rail?
JA: What is the model of your '02 Mercedes?
Customer: MB100 petrol van
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes my husband has been working on it. Have tried replacing plugs, fuel filter, air filter, crank shaft sensor, mass airflow meter, fule pump.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope thats about it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are several things that can cause a lack of power and it will take some testing to know exactly what is going on. The first thing that comes to mind is a restricted catalytic converter.

The first step in diagnosing the problem would be to use a code reader or scan tool to see if any fault codes are setting in the engine controller. Have you checked for codes?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We have been unable to find one for the van, we can see a round plug under the passenger side of the dash. But I cannot find a code reader for that plug.
Cheers Jo

The first step in accurately diagnosing the problem will be to check for fault codes, data may also need to be monitored. If you have a backpressure gauge you can try checking exhaust backpresssure.