Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,

We have three faults come up with 2005 sprinter. p1630,

Customer Question

we have three faults come up with 2005 sprinter.
JA: Are you fixing your Sprinter yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: p1630, P1470, P1187
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes we are a garage
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Expert:  Matt replied 14 days ago.

Code P1187 relates to low fuel rail pressure

The first & most common problem is air being drawn into the low pressure lines - check for any signs of fuel leaks around the engine. Often no fuel will be visible but air can still be drawn in - check for signs of air in the low pressure lines from the filter to the fuel pumps & upto the rail. If air is present then I would replace the O rings at the end of the low pressure lines.

The problem will be cured by checking the supply pipe along its length for signs of leakage and repairing any you find.

If you daub each pipe joint with heavy grease and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint

it’s also worth considering fitting a new fuel filter as if only slightly blocked this can lower fuel supply pressure and choke the main pump, the pump will be more sensitive to this when its cold as diesel thickens considerably with low temperatures :yes'> and the issue goes away then wipe the grease away one at a time to highlight the problem joint

Could also be an injector leaking fuel back through the overspill pipe, so not getting enough fuel pressure to tell ECU to fire the injectors, this is trickier to find and you’ll need the garage to do a ‘run back’ test to identify which one is the issue

At the rear end of the fuel rail there is a valve - the seals on the end of this valve can leak internally also reducing rail pressure - care must be taken when removing this as the end is fragile & can break off inside the rail!

The pump is a possibility, again a special tool is required to test this - it is unusual to fail in this way but is a possibility. Usually it either works or does not.

If it has happened suddenly then poor fuel is another possibility, again unusual but I have experienced this.

P1470 = Charge Pressure control positive control variation (Charge pressure is too low). so I'd check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.

P1187 = fuel rail pressure variation again check the same issues as the P1630 fault

Expert:  Matt replied 8 days ago.

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you